Second Skin Audio

Skar subs and deep bass ?

Fish Chris

So I have considered Skar subs for a future build, and they seem like a lot of bang for the buck. Also, last week I ran into a guy running two 12" Skar subs on only about 1000wts, and they sounded pretty darn deep and clean to me. But reading over the specs, I was quite surprised, and a little bit bummed, that the frequency response was listed at only down to 40 hz - (don't remember the upper end, but not that important to me anyway, as I'd probably cut them off at about 90hz anyway. Really happy with my little 10" NVX subs so far, which have a frequency response of 20-200hz. Of course I know these are just numbers, and can totally vary in the real world.... 

But what do you guys know about Skar subs and low bass ?

May want to consider another brand ... just Saying 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

3 hours ago, Fish Chris said:

So I have considered Skar subs for a future build, and they seem like a lot of bang for the buck. Also, last week I ran into a guy running two 12" Skar subs on only about 1000wts, and they sounded pretty darn deep and clean to me. But reading over the specs, I was quite surprised, and a little bit bummed, that the frequency response was listed at only down to 40 hz - (don't remember the upper end, but not that important to me anyway, as I'd probably cut them off at about 90hz anyway. Really happy with my little 10" NVX subs so far, which have a frequency response of 20-200hz. Of course I know these are just numbers, and can totally vary in the real world.... 

But what do you guys know about Skar subs and low bass ?

You say you heard them already, if your vehicle is of similar size and type they might just do the trick for you, if you have the exact models of both his subs and your sub you can do some modeling to identify differences. Of course there are low end specific subs like Sundown X if you decide you want to pay more.

I have a pair of skar vd-10 in pre-fab and they run on a pair of jbl gtx 500 not really competing though

if you really read this forum you will find its the box that makes the difference 

you can find support or negativity for their products on here

as skar is a vendor here I can assume too much bashing aint going far

I will say past deals were questionable but current products seem pretty legit

5 hours ago, fishchris1 said:

Thanks guys. Yea, I know the right box is 90% of the deal.

Was just surprised to see the frequency response for those Skars listed at only 40hz. Even if that were true, I'd expect them to exaggerate this a little. 

The frequency response listed in manuals is just a lab number and correlates poorly with what you will actually get inside your car with a custom designed setup.

I run Skar in my beater every day driver and never had any issues, What size subs U looking for, there 12’s are all under 40hz rated. Most prefabe boxes are tuned to 40hz so maybe that’s there base line for testing. I wouldn’t expect low 30’s with some 60 dollar subs though got to buy the better line drivers and have a great box. Also U got to go bigger then 10’s for lows. Try 15 or 18’s.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

Archived