Second Skin Audio

6th Order Bandpass for Alpine Type R - Video Page 3!

the_garynator

Probably gonna sound like a noob here but. How hard would it be to turn it into an 8th order. Never heard or seen one and I really wanna know what its like. If someone can give me a short version of what's good and bad about an 8th compared to a 6th thatd work too. Great results tho bro. I like how the box looks. :)

My SPL to SQ Build Log

Vehicle:
1997 Dodge Dakota Ext Cab 4x4 2009 Dodge Journey SXT
5.2L V8 Magnum 3.5L V6
Stock Alt

Equipment:

Headunit- Alpine CDE-147BT

Mids/Highs Amp- JL Audio G6600 Class AB 6 Channel

Sub Amp- Hifonics BRZ1700.1D @ 2 Ohms Taramps DSP3000.1D

Sub- Hertz Hi Energy 12" HX300D SounDrive SDA3 12

Tweeters- Rockford Fosgate Power Series Silk Domes Hertz Hi-Energy

Mids- Dayton Audio Reference 4" Full Range Drivers 

Midbass- Silver Flute 6.5" Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5"

Processor- MiniDSP 2x4

RCA- 6 channels of SounDrive HF series

Wire- EB Flex 2/0

-Member of Team SounDrive

Looking forward to tl results! No offense, because im sure you agree, that box with all the ports coming out of it looks hilarious haha

yeah, it looks funny...was planning a different look but due to design constraints (wanted to be able to break it up into 2 boxes so the wood wasn't wasted if it didn't work out)

Looks like a robot lol

LOL yeah, that's what we named it

That is pretty cool

I would love a 6th. Been my dream for a while now. Great post dude...

Smashing and peaking at 30hZ is pretty neat...... Great curve responce as well....

More please?

more to come. I have clamp results I'll post tomorrow at many frequencies. I've also got another project planned

That's sweet! Sixth orders have always piqued my interest. Good work!!

Thanks!

Same, everyone creams over a 4th, and all i want is a 6th.

OP, more info when you can.

Are you thinking of retuning, for another go? whats your plan?

I agree...4th orders to me are cool, but they're too much of a compromise. I have done some messing around with tuning via winisd, and I don't think I'm going to retune. The most I'll maybe do is add another port to the rear (low tuned) chamber and see if there are any gains.

Very nice!

Thanks!

My question is why go with type r 12 when you have that beefy boss looking 15..... dafuq kinda logic is that lol

Main reason is that I don't have t/s parameters for my level 5s, although I just ordered one of these yesterday: https://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=390-806

My plan was to try it out with the type r (much less wood lol) and if it worked out, build one for my 18" level 5. I'm going to give that a shot, but I need to get a new alternator before I'll be able to throw any power at it even if I get it built soon. So I'm probably going to take my time. Either way, it will have another thread dedicated to it.

If you open your trunk about 90% of people would assume thats a rocket :D

Very Sick box man!

lol, thanks :)

Probably gonna sound like a noob here but. How hard would it be to turn it into an 8th order. Never heard or seen one and I really wanna know what its like. If someone can give me a short version of what's good and bad about an 8th compared to a 6th thatd work too. Great results tho bro. I like how the box looks. :)

probably wouldn't be too hard to turn it into an 8th, but probably won't do it. If you're curious on differences, try googling them. there isn't a whole lot of info, but there is some. Here's a good place to start on 6th orders: http://www.diysubwoofers.org/bnd/6thorder.htm

... do these boxes work well with L7s those prts could go thru my rear deck 6.9 holes and two front ones thru the armrest hole...Nice

Not sure, I'd have to grab the t/s parameters. Just remember, this box for a single 12 was 4.5ft^3 BEFORE displacements to get these results. Not sure how much trunk space you have, but if you're doing multiples, you may not have the room to get these sort of results.

Thanks for all the comments everyone!

I'll be posting clamp results tomorrow.

Clamp results!

ClampResults.jpg

Overall I like the sound of this box, the only shortcoming is in the mid 30s at high power levels, the sub seems to unload a bit. It matches up pretty much perfectly with the winisd graph. This isn't really an issue until higher power levels as it creates a noticible drop in output at those frequencies. I don't really consider it a design flaw, as it's the sub that isnt able to handle it. All things considered though, it does pretty damned good taking 2 to 3 times rated power!

Guess what showed up today?

more precision ports! (3 more 4" and 3 3"). the 3" are for other boxes, but the 4" are for a possible 6th order for my level 5

2013-01-30_16-57-18_643.jpg

The big thing that showed up though is my DATS system, that means I can test my level 5 18 and start designing a 6th order for it!!!

http://www.stevemeadedesigns.com/board/topic/161028-new-toy-just-arrived-dats-ts-parameter-tester/#entry2323588

Way cool!

Why did you decide to go with a parallel tuned enclosure over a series tuned enclosure? I'm not sure the difference other than it seems like I see lots of people doing the series tuned type

Archived