I am starting my first build log. I've been doing car audio for about 15 years but this is first build over 3k. I have been meticulously researching and planning every detail and stacking up my purchases little by little for about 10 months but have waited to put everything all in at once. I've always done my own installs but this one I will admit I was a little over my head. I wanted to find someone that would work hand and hand with me threw the entire job who was familiar with higher spl builds, custom wood working and knew what they we doing. Out of all people whom I touched base with including several car audio install shops I was most impressed with my consultation with Brad Van Valkenburg from Jackson, MI. He has the experience, a carpenter by trade and a heck of a passion for car audio and getting things right the first time. We worked together for 5 days straight sun up to sun down and I couldn't be happier with the ending result. Enjoy!IMG_0662.thumb.JPG.0d3e688adbe6f1757442d07c0131b3d6.JPG

I am driving a 2008 Toyota Yaris Hatchback. The back seat is already taken out from my previous setup. My goals for this build are demoing\ hair tricks first and foremost but I do enjoy metering also. I know the stock look is going out the window for the most but I'd like to incorporate as much stock look as I can into the final build. We are tuning the box to 31hz to really let that 36mm xmax from my hdx3s shine. This is going to be a windy one guys! He are my before pictures with everything as it was before this build was started.

IMG_0637.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

before.jpg

IMG_0384.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

IMG_0381.JPG

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0300.JPG

IMG_0301.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

IMG_0271.JPG

I noticed a lot of the guys out there getting real loud are using aeroports from Big Ass Ports. I'll take 3 please! 8' adjustable versa ports.👌 Wasn't very impressed with $60 dollars for shipping on em but they were a must have for my build.

IMG_0394.JPG

Easy access to my terminals👍 Along with some beautiful yellow zinc hardware for my home made busbars. I later ended up laser etching my busbars to give them a more custom look. Gotta love being a CNC machinest.

IMG_0257.JPG

IMG_0410.JPG

The electrical. Thee very most important part of my build. Often times the weakest link for many... Picked up these two 80 aH JY power banks from another fellow bass head in Michigan for a grand total. Thanks Shaggy! These will look great with the busbars I threw together. My plan is to do a cutout in my wheel well and weld in a fabricated box to hold my lithium bank. Every square inch saved counts in this build. We all know the mini monster isnt very liberal on space🚗 I also replaced my duralast up front with an XS Power 3400R for a bit more reserve and added C30 amperage output.  I bought a charger to help out my little 250 amp alternator on days with lots of demoing. Back when i bought my alternator off of CES he said the biggest he could make for a billet case is 250 amps. I may need a second one at some point but hesitate with how small the engine compartment is.

IMG_0256.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

Oh course we're going to need something to run all that electrical with. 150' of 2/0 welding cable. Only 100' role shown in the picture. USPS jerked me around for 3 weeks before I cancelled my order and went down to the local welding shop to purchase my black negative runs. A bit more pricier at $2.99 a foot but I was running out of time and $2.99 still isn't a bad deal. Also went with 8 awg for my subwoofer speaker runs, 6 awg for my 4 channel and 18 awg for all my door speaker runs. While mapping out how many runs to do front to back I did a lot of research on all grounds to chassis vs direct ground runs to alternator. My census from research and educated/ experienced opinions was chassis grounds were more then efficient in both small and large builds. However I went ahead and did a couple negative runs back to the alternator anyways. I also got hung up on how many runs front to back for positive. First I wanted 5 runs to to match the total amperage output for the whole setup of 1850 amps. After speaking with a few knowledgeable guys i learned you need enough runs to carry the current of your alternator and front battery current to the back. So 250amp alternator with the XS 3400R lead me to just stick with 2 runs. All the real power is in the back being used in the back. No need for all the extra runs.

IMG_0401.JPG

Had to go out and purchase the factory radio mounting brackets from the Toyota dealership because I threw them out when I replaced the factory 2 din to a aftermarket 1 din. Now that im going with a aftermarket 2 din i need the brackets back.😩 Also picked up my dash kit from Best Buy.

1174990749_radio2.jpg.ff08efe9beb89e0d56e24e61c25bf8ec.jpgbracket.png

IMG_0589.JPG

20 hours ago, markcrnll said:

I am starting my first build log. I've been doing car audio for about 15 years but this is first build over 3k. I have been meticulously researching and planning every detail and stacking up my purchases little by little for about 10 months but have waited to put everything all in at once. I've always done my own installs but this one I will admit I was a little over my head. I wanted to find someone that would work hand and hand with me threw the entire job who was familiar with higher spl builds, custom wood working and knew what they we doing. Out of all people whom I touched base with including several car audio install shops I was most impressed with my consultation with Brad Van Valkenburg from Jackson, MI. He has the experience, a carpenter by trade and a heck of a passion for car audio and getting things right the first time. We worked together for 5 days straight sun up to sun down and I couldn't be happier with the ending result. Enjoy!IMG_0662.thumb.JPG.0d3e688adbe6f1757442d07c0131b3d6.JPG

Them ports look too close to that roof. If it isn’t 7.9”, or close to, away from that roof it won’t resonate well at all. It will fire back into the enclosure and you’ll lose a bunch of potential output. Don’t get me wrong, it will still hit hard as fugh but no where near as hard as it is suppose to. Might wanna rethink positioning and rebuild the enclosure. But you are probably not gonna because y’all spent so long building that. But what I’m telling you is facts and this problem has been ran into numerous times with resonating issues that take away from output and I know it so well. Just thought I would help. Other than that, the system build itself seems promising and I like it, for sure. Bass on dude!

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived