Second Skin Audio

pretty sure I blew my btl n2 while under powering it...

DylanBunch

Ya gain was at 5/11 not 5 o clock

sounds like your problem was the sub to start with. but for future reference, it lets people know more about your gain if you tell us how you set it, rather than where it is pointing to. regardless of using a clock reference or a number it's pointing to.

F150:

Stock :(

2019 Harley Road Glide:

Amp: TM400Xad - 4 channel 400 watt

Processor: DSR1

Fairing (Front) 6.5s -MMats PA601cx

Lid (Rear) 6x9s -  TMS69

Massive dmx quad coil blown off of 25 watts clipped after 7 hours and 29 mins of playing still have sub if you would like to see pics

Clipping makes heat after time of getting hotter and hotter will fuck a coil

Yes beware of trolls you fucking troll!!!!

Well shit :D I would like full 7 hours 29min++ video with clamp meter...

I believe you but I have to question how well it relates to "normal" use.

It's a good example though, so I guess I got to give it to you there.

(It's still not true 10-20w on a 3k coil :peepwall: )

it isn't the amount of power that clipping produces that blows a coil. Clipped signals effects (or affects) how well a coil is able to cool. There is probably a point where the power just isn't enough to produce the heat required to fry a coil, but otherwise, at some point in time, clipping will fry a coil. If you have a 1500 watt sub and run 1500 clean watts to it, shouldn't be a problem. If you run 1500 clipped watts (like a 1000 watt amp with the gain cranked) then you have problems.

I'm aware, good looking out though!

Let's have a silent moment for the subwoofer who has suffered in the hand of an owner.

Just kidding. It sounds like clipping like what everyone suggested. Hope everything work out well and make sure you know what you're doing with system.

I still don't see how he blew that sub with that little power, clipped or not it should've been much more difficult to blow it than what the op is describing, my guess is there's other problems involved that led to its death.

edit: is this a 15" or an 18"?

You can blow a rated 3000 watt sub with as little as 10 clipped watts its not that hard when you got a serious clipped signal

makes sense but when the op says his gains are set at 5 o clock no bass boost etc I think it's safe to assume that if he's clipping then it's a soft clip or a little more, not full blown bass boost maxxed, gain maxxed, bass boost on headunit etc etc, I've clipped my XFL's on my 3.5k to all hell and back and haven't blown them, they got stinky but coils are still copper and read just fine, not arguing just saying it seems pretty hard.

5 o clock is practically max gain.....

I meant 5/11 like the OP said lol

'93 Firebird Formula V8

H/U- Kenwood eXcelon KDC-X395

Mids/Highs Amp- Hifonics ZXI80.4

Wiring-KNU RCA's, Speaker Wire, And Two Runs Of Trystar 1/0

G34 Red Top and a 180amp Ford Alternator

www.youtube.com/TRTC360

I forgot. The amp model but it was an old school sony amp small gold one 25x2 watts I used 1 channel with max gain max boost ect.

Did the sub move at all?

How much DC voltage was there going through the voicecoils?

Do you have any clamp results?

Thinking is the root of all problems...

You ALWAYS get what you pay for.

Archived